Pets during the pandemic: Broome County Humane Society urges plan of action for your furry friends

first_img(WBNG) — The Broome County Humane Society is asking pet owners to plan for how they will care for their pets, should they need to be hospitalized due to COVID-19. Ondria emphasized that if you find yourself with nowhere to turn, the Broome County Humane Society will be there for you and your pet. She says this can be prevented by establishing a clear plan of action for your pet. “There are times when you may not be able to find the specific brand that you feed, so if you get a little extra it’s not going to hurt,” Ondria said. The Humane Society asks that if you know in advance that you won’t have anyone to take care of your animal if you get sick, call them and work out a plan ahead of time. “We want to make sure your animals who for most of us are our best friends, don’t get left behind,” said Shelter Manager Amberly Ondria. “If you do get sent to the hospital, the last thing we want is animals sitting at home with no food, no water, without anybody to take care of them.”center_img “If they have exhausted all options with friends, family, neighbors, and they do become sick, they can reach out to us and we have an emergency program in place with a contract,” she said. The Humane Society stresses it is also important to make sure you have about two weeks of food and medication on hand for your animal, and to make sure they are up to date on their vaccines. “It’s really important to be in contact with family and friends so if you do get sick, you can make sure your animals have a place to go,” she said. For more coronavirus coverage, click here.last_img read more

Agent claims strong Toure interest

first_imgYaya Toure’s agent has reportedly claimed offers have been made for the Manchester City midfielder and that the intention is to sit down with the Blues soon for discussions about the future. Reports are suggesting Toure could be set for a move away in the summer, with the likes of Paris St Germain and Inter Milan – managed by his former City boss Roberto Mancini – being mentioned in reports as possible destinations. Ivory Coast international Toure was quoted on Tuesday as saying he is open to ”new challenges” and that he will not stay at a club simply to collect wages. Those comments came two days after his agent Dimitri Seluk was quoted as saying “two of the biggest clubs” had asked him about Toure’s availability, adding: “If City want Yaya to leave, they should come out and say so.” And, quoted by Sky Sports News on Wednesday, Seluk said: “We have had different offers for Yaya but we must speak to Manchester City. “People think he will stay because of money but we don’t care about money. If Man City don’t want him – no problem. “I want someone to say that they want Yaya to stay at Manchester City. Yaya is a legend at the club. All the supporters like him, he’s helped them make history.” City manager Manuel Pellegrini, whose side are set to finish this season trophyless, insisted at a pre-match press conference last Friday that Toure – winner of major silverware four times with the club – would ”continue playing here because he is a very important player”. Pellegrini also admitted he had been disappointed by the 31-year-old’s form this term, but backed Toure, who has two years left on his current contract and captained the side in Sunday’s 2-0 win over West Ham, to come good again. In the quotes on Tuesday, Toure said: “I owe it to the City fans to fight until the end of my career at this club. ”My decisions will not be affected by changes in management, but more by the challenges that will be offered to me.” There have been questions over Pellegrini’s future, and Seluk was quoted on Sunday calling the Chilean a ”weak manager”, as well as criticising City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and director of football Txiki Begiristain. When asked immediately after the West Ham win about that interview, Pellegrini said he did not want to comment. City, likewise, declined to comment on the latest quotes from Seluk when contacted by Press Association Sport on Wednesday. Press Associationlast_img read more

COMEBACKING OMAHA BEACH OUTRUNS FAVORED SHANCELOT TO WIN GRADE I, $300,000 SANTA ANITA SPRINT CHAMPIONSHIP BY A HEAD

first_imgCOMEBACKING OMAHA BEACH OUTRUNS FAVORED SHANCELOT TO WIN GRADE I, $300,000 SANTA ANITA SPRINT CHAMPIONSHIP BY A HEAD; SMITH & MANDELLA TEAM FOR SIX FURLONG PARTY IN RAPID 1:08.79RACE IS A BREEDERS’ CUP ‘WIN & YOU’RE IN’ CHALLENGE RACE QUALIFIER     ARCADIA, Calif. (Oct. 5, 2019)–The morning line favorite for this Kentucky Derby and idle since April 13, Richard Mandella’s Omaha Beach put on a tremendous exhibition in Saturday’s Grade I, $300,000 Santa Anita Sprint Championship, as he gradually overhauled heavily favored eastern invader Shancelot to prevail by a head in an astonishingly fast 1:08.79 under Mike Smith.The question now is, where does this immensely talented colt by War Front go next?  With today’s race a Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” Challenge Race qualifier to the $2 million Sprint here on Nov. 2, that’s an obvious option, but given the scope and versatility Omaha Beach has exhibited in both the morning and afternoon, he could potentially run in any one of three races on Nov. 2.“I want to enjoy this one, but the Sprint, the ($2 million) Mile and the mile and a quarter ($6 million Classic) are all possible,” said Mandella, who had to stop on his stable star just days before the Run for the Roses due to an entrapped epiglotis.  “I’m just very relieved to have him back. At the eighth pole, I thought we were (going to be) clear, but it took some race riding…This horse has a heart of gold and he’s got the greatest personality of any horse I’ve ever had.  I would say anything’s possible.”Although he bobbled ever so slightly at the break, Omaha Beach was quickly into stride and was just a head off of Shancelot while full of run mid-way around the turn.  At the top of the lane, Shancelot, drifted a bit off the rail and Smith then stayed inside through an incredible stretch battle.“He broke extremely well, almost too well,” said Smith. “He slipped a little leaving there, but man he settled right in behind them really nice. He was loaded coming off that turn…His last work was brilliant and he ran the way he worked.“He’s a throwback to those classic horses. He can do anything. Three quarters to a mile and a quarter. He’s extremely fast and he’s got tremendous stamina…He can do it all. The only thing that surprised me today was that I had to stay inside. His last work was his best one, no question. Today, he hit his best stride late.”Overlayed at 5-2 off of a morning line of 8-5 in a field of six, Omaha Beach, who is out of the Seeking the Gold mare Charming, paid $7.20, $2.40 and $2.10.Owned by Rick Porter’s Fox Hill Farms, Inc., Omaha Beach, who won the Grade I Arkansas Derby on April 13, now has a total of three graded stakes wins to his credit from an overall mark of 8-4-3-1.  With today’s winner’s share of $180,000, his earnings stand at $1,301,800.Although it would have been unfathomable to imagine any horse getting beat that essentially ran six furlongs today in 1:08 and 4/5s seconds, that’s exactly the fate that befell Shancelot, who shipped in from his Monmouth Park base and was ridden by Florida-based Emisael Jaramillo.“I really don’t know what to think right now, to be honest,” said a visibly stunned Jorge Navarro, trainer of Shancelot. “I thought maybe he (Jaramillo) waited too long…What’s he looking back for?”A galloping 12 ½ length winner of a Grade II sprint stakes at Saratoga two starts back on July 28, Shancelot was just a head shy of being unbeaten in four starts and was thus made the 1-5 favorite, returning $2.10 and $2.10 while finishing 2 ½ lengths in front of John Sadler’s Flagstaff.Ridden by Victor Espinoza, Flagstaff was off at 9-1 and paid $2.10 to show.Fractions, all set by the runner-up, were 21.87, 44.38 and 56.18.last_img read more