first_imgINISHOWEN LEAGUEFr O’ Gara Cup Reports Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara CupGreencastle FC 3-1 QPS ResGreencastle advanced to the next round after a hard fought victory over a game Point side.The visitors were first to threaten when Dean Hegarty saw his free punched clear by Seamus Bovaird.But Grencastle hit back and broke the deadlock on 8 minutes when Sean Cavanagh fed Brian Kone who laid the ball off for James Henry to fire an unstoppable half volley to the bottom corner.Jack Keys then fired narrowly over before Aiden Lynch fed John McCloskey at the other end but he was denied by a superb tackle from Sean McQuillan.Greencastle raised their game then with Gavin Harkin seeing his dangerous cross tipped away by Brian Lynch before they made it two nil on the half hour after Ciaran Moor played a neat one two with Cavanagh on the edge of the area before advancing to round Lynch and slot home.McQuillam then beat two men but fired wide before at the other end Stephen Kings run on the right saw his cross sail over.The point had a good chance on 55 minutes after Lynch broke into the area and laid the ball off for King but he shot straight at Bovaird.The home side responded with Harkin seeing his free punched clear before Cavanagh’s header was cleared off the line by Paul Harkin.The point got a lifeline on 66 minutes after the ball fell for McCloskey to fire a stunning thirty yards effort to the top corner. Hegarty & McCloskey then both had long range efforts off target before Greencastle settled any nerves on 77 minutes when substitutes Ryan McDermott and Andrew McLaughlin combined for the latter to fire to the top corner from eight yards.The point squandered a gilt edged chance to exert late pressure when they were awarded a penalty after Lynch was fouled in the area but Lynch’s penalty came back off the post. Inishowen Engineering Reserve First Division ReportsRea’s men clinch league title in styleRedcastle Res 3-1 Cockhill ColtsRedcastle Res made sure there would be no last minute nerves as they clinched the league title at the first time of asking with a three one win over a game Cockhill side.Redcastle came flying out at the start and Aiden Cunningham’s free found Stephen McGowan whose header was well saved by Gary Robinson. Cunningham then flashed a twenty five yards effort just past the post before the pressure told on 33 minutes when Edward Havlin fed Stephen McCauley to head home from ten yards.Six minutes later they doubled their lead after Liam McLaughlin advanced from midfield to unleash a twenty yards effort to the bottom corner.Cockhill got off to a great start to the second period when they reduced the deficit when in a goalmouth scramble the ball cannoned off a defender past Ryan McCole. But Redcastle upped the tempo and any nerves were dispelled on 76 minutes when McGowans cross from the left found Mclaughlin who laid the ball off to James Curran to slot home from close range.In the final minutes Gary Breslin for the colts saw his effort from twenty yards sail just over the bar.Moville Youth 0-3 Rasheney ResThe visitors got a dream start in the second minute when a deep free kick was bundled home from close range by Kieran Friel past lee McElroy.Moville had plenty of possession but failed to trouble Sean Friel in the Rasheney goal at any stage.Indeed it was Rasheney who almost added another when Friel advanced into the area but McElroy saved well with his feet.Moville upped the tempo on the restart with Colin Doherty releasing Kevin McDermott but he fired just over.On the hour they were awarded a penalty but Oran McDermott’s spot kick was well saved by Friel.Rasheney hit back and John Doherty’s snapshot flew just past the post. Moville pushed forward again and McDermott flicked on for Paddy Craig who crossed to McDermott but he was denied by a superb last ditch tackle.Rasheney sealed the points on 76 minutes after John Doherty poked home in a crowded area before the same player completed the scoring on 85 minutes after racing through to shoot low past McElroy. Inishowen Engineering Reserve Premier Division Reports 17/03/2013Written by AdministratorAileach Res 3-1 Culdaff ResThis was a tight affair between the top two in the division and after the initial hectic start Culdaff were first to show with Niall Gordon firing over the bar from the edge of the area.Aileach replied midway through the half with Liam Burke seeing a twenty five yards effort well gathered by George Houten.Culdaff responded and Dermot Diver fired straight at David McGeady when well placed.Before the break the home side went close when Houten tipped Burke’s effort around the post and when the ball fell to Stephen Doherty from the corner Houten again reacted superbly to tip the ball over. Culdaff started the second half on top and broke the deadlock when William Hutrchinsons brilliant twenty five yards effort dipped over McGeady and into the top corner.But Aileach rallied and got back on terms when Burke poked the ball home after a scramble in the area.Aileach then took the lead when with the visitors looking for offside Stephen Doherty advanced and saw his effort parried by Houten but Craig followed up to slot home.Houten then saved well from both Burke and Doherty before Culdaff responded well after this and were unlucky when David O’Connor saw his shot from the edge of the area rebound off the post. Minutes later Seamus McLaughlin released Conor O’Brien but his powerful effort was superbly tipped round the post by McGeady.Aileach sealed the points when Paul McHugh advanced from midfield to slot the ball low under Houten.Culdaff tried to the end but O’Brien had a half chance which he fired just over the top.Sea Rovers 2-5 Cockhill ResSwitched to Cockhill Christy McDaids side had to wait until the last five minutes to record a victory as they hit three without reply.Cockhill got a dream start when they opened the scoring on 3 minutes after Marty Bradley fed Michael Coyle and when his shot was parried by Fergal Bradley the rebound was slotted home by Ricky Fullerton.Fullerton then had a shot gathered at the second attempt before Rovers Gerard Crossan advanced on goal but Lee McCarron advanced to smother his effort. On 27 minutes Crossan again beat the offside trap and shot early but McCarron tipped his effort onto the post.Cockhill then made it two nil on 31 minutes when Bradley fed Fullerton on the left and he pulled the ball back for Ryan Duffy to slot home at the near post.Rovers got a goal back before the interval when again Crossan beat the offside trap to race clear and slide the ball low past the advancing McCarron.There was a quiet opening to the second halfbut on 67 minutes Cockhills Alan Fletcher was unlucky to see his effort following a corner crash off the bar.Rovers hit back minutes later and equalised after Crossan saw his effort parried by McCarron for Dean McLaughlin to emphatically blast the ball to the roof of the net.Cockhill got back into the lead on 85 minutes when Aiden Donaghey fed Duffy and his effort took a deflection on its way past Bradley.Minutes later great work by Alan Fletcher on the right saw his cross headed home by Duffy from eight yards.Then on the stroke of full tiem Duffy converted a penalty awarded after he had been upended.Glengad Res 2-1 Carn ResIt was Glengad who started the game the better but it was Carn who almost took the lead on 15 minutes when James McCloskey released Rory Brady who beat Michael McLaughlin with his shot but it rebounded off the post.The home side replied and took the lead on 22 minutes when Christopher McLaughlin fed Seamus Doherty whose deep cross was slotted home by Daniel Mullarkey.Glengad dominated the remainder of the half but failed to create clear chances.Carn got a dream start to the second period when good work by Niall Mclaughlin saw him cross to Brady to sidefoot home from close range.Glengad replied and Mullarkey’s cross shot glanced off the face of the crossbar before they regained the lead on 67 minutes when Mark Smith’s powerful twenty yards free deflected off a defender past JJ Doherty.Carn almost levelled when a deep cross from Brady was clawed away at full stretch by McLaughlin.Glengad spurned a gilt edged chance to win it when Gary Kelly was upended in the area but his spot kick was well saved to his left by DohertyStrand Hotel First Division ReportsRasheney FC 1-1 Dunree UnitedThis was a poor encounter throughout with few chances and defences on top.In the first half Dunree had whatever chances there were with Daniel McLaughlin seeing an early shot gathered at the second attempt by Johnathan Noone.Then midway through the half they were unlucky to see James Doherty’s header from a free crash back off the bar before being cleared.Either side of half time was a dogged midfield encounter and it was not until the final twenty minutes that the game came to life.On 70 minutes James Doherty for the visitors saw his effort kicked off the line by keeper Noone before they took the lead minutes later when a corner fell to David Laird and he drilled home from eight yards.But Rasheney rallied and got back on terms five minutes later when Noone’s long free dropped over the Dunree defence for Anthony Doherty to score with a diving header to the bottom corner.In the closing stages Dunree came closest after Philip McGuinness crossed for James Doherty but he headed just over the top.Moville Celtic Res 4-4 Buncrana Hearts ResIn an entertaining encounter play swung from end to end before both sides claimed a share of the points.Buncrana started the better and took the lead on 22 minutes when Kieran McDaid found Declan Fullerton and he drilled low past Maurice McGeady from eight yards.They doubled their lead minutes later when Alan Friel unleased a looping effort to the roof of the net from twenty yards.Moville upped the tempo and reduced the deficit when Joshua Lafferty fired a stunning free over the wall to the top corner past Eoin O Doherty.Moville started the second period well and when John McGeady’s header was cleared off the line Lafferty retrieved and crossed for Conor Lafferty to slot home from six yards.Moville then took the lead on the hour mark when McGeady flicked the ball on for Tony Boyce to drill home from close range.But the visitors rallied and equalised when a great run by Alan Friel saw him round the keeper and cross for Gerard Boyle to head home.The visitors then regained the lead after Boye cut in from the left and fired superb shot to the top corner from the edge of the area. But Moville hit back and and gained a point when Joshua Lafferty’s free was cleared as far as Jason McLaughlin who lobbed the ball into the area for Christy McGeoghaghan to fire home.Jackie Crossan Premier Division ReportsPremier league title still in the balanceMoville Celtic 1-1 Glengad UnitedPlayed in cold but dry conditions at Glencrow on Saturday before a big crowd Glengad United came from behind to claim a draw but need two wins in their last two games to be sure of the title.Moville started the better and in the second minute a Joe Doherty corner found Ryan McClenaghan unmarked but he flicked the ball wide of the far post from point blank range.A swift counter attack from Glengad saw Terence Doherty cross from the left brilliantly controlled by Patrick McDermott but he fired inches over the bar.John McDaid and Terence Doherty then played a neat one two to again send McDermott into the area but he sliced his effort wide on his weaker left foot.Glengad continued to press and when Jason Doherty ‘s cross found McDermott again in the area he was denied by a brilliant tackle from Shane Canning. Moville broke immediately with Nigel McMonagle breaking on the left and crossing again to the unmarked McClenaghan who lifted h his effort over the bar from six yards. Glengad responded and when Terence Doherty fed McDaid he sidestepped a defender but fired straight at Sean McGuinness from fifteen yards.Before the interval Doherty laid the ball into the path of Stephen McLaughlin whose outside of the right foot effort was palmed away at full stretch by McGuinness as the half ended scoreless. Moville got a dream start to the second period after the visitors defence failed to deal with Graeme Doherty’s high ball and McMonagle controlled before superbly laying the ball across for Sean Doherty to tuck the ball into the bottom corner from eight yards.Moville were on top and when Joe Doherty’s cross appeared to strike an arm in the area Moville’s penalty claims were waved away but it would have been a harsh award.Midway through the half Glengad got back on terms after John G McLaughlin picked up a loose clearance and played a first time pass into Patrick McDermott who advanced into the area before slotting low past McGuinness from fourteen yards. On 84 minutes Moville created a clear opening when substitute Tony Boyce released McMonagle who sprinted away from defenders but dragged his effort across the face of goal and wide.Minutes later following a spell of pressure from the home side Conor McLaughlin fired over from the edge of the area before on the stroke of full time substitute Raymond Campbell’s header from a corner drifted just past the post. Realistically this was a game Moville needed to win to give them a real shout for title glory but there could be a few twists and turns yet.Aileach FC 1-1 Carn FCThe home side were caught cold in the opening minutes when Conor Doherty broke clear on the right and crossed for Caomhan Canny to chest the ball home from point blank range past Conor Carlin.Aileach replied and Gavin Doherty’s effort from eight yards was well blocked by the legs of Gavin McLaughlin in the Carn goal.Midway through the half Darren McMonagle fed Anthony Doherty who turned and fired a cross shot just past the far post.The home side’s pressure told in the 31st minute when they got back on terms after Dermot Doherty flicked the ball on for Anthony Doherty to race clear, round McLaughlin and finish well from a tight angle.Aileach started the better in the second period and when McMonagle’s free was headed out James Gillespie volleyed just wide from the edge of the area.Ciaran Craig then rattled the bar with a thirty yards free kick before McLaughlin made a superb save from Gillespie. In the finasl quarter Carn threw men forward in an attempt to get a winner and while Aileach were dangerous on the break the final ball let them down too often.The closest the visitors came to scoring was in the final minutes after Gerard McEleney’s powerful header from a corner sailed just over the bar.Cockhill Celtic Yths 1-2 Clonmany ShamrocksReversed to Clonmany due to a water logged pitch Clonmany took full advantage and need to win their remaining five games to win the league.They got a perfect start on 2 minutes when a deep free by Marty Doherty was headed back across by Streve Harkin for Mark McLaughlin to score with a diving header.Cockhill almost got back into it when Garbhan Friel looked destined to pounce on a defensive error but Harkin got back to deny him.Midway through the half Paul McLaughlin fed Mark McLaughlin who cut into the area but under pressure from Aiden Porter he fired wide.Jason Devlin and Paul Mclaughlin then combined well for Mark McLaughlin to volley over the top.Before the break Michael Devlin beat the offside trap but saw his low effort well saved by Martin Donaghey.Clonmany began the second period well with Doherty advancing from half way but seeing his effort saved by Dongahey as well.They increased their lead on 56 minutes when Michael Devlin pounced on a poor back pass and drilled low past Donaghey. Cockhill upped the tempo then with Daniel Doherty’s corner finding Friel but his header deflected off a defender and behind.They got a goal back when Friel burst past two defenders and squared for Darragh McDermott to slot home from twelve yards. The Shamrocks replied with a good run and shot from Jason Devlin well saved by Donaghey.In the final fifteen minutes Clonamny were reasonably comfortable but always wary of the threat that Friel and Mark Moran carried.INISHOWEN LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: March 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Inishowen Leaguelast_img read more