The Environmental Protection Agency announced Tuesday it had secured nearly$3 billion in environmental improvements in California in 2005.Of that, the San Gabriel Valley received $50 million, or 1.6 percent.“We’re always glad to see money coming to clean up the groundwater and to ensure the safety of our drinking water,” said Jeff Yann, chair of the Sierra Club’s San Gabriel River campaign.At the same time, he said, $50 million will not be enough for the entire cleanup, which could take a very long time.“There’s still a lot of contamination. There’s still the potential of leaching of contaminants,” Yann said.The $3 billion in improvements in the 2005 fiscal year is a huge increase from last year, when the EPA secured $63 million statewide. Further, the EPA took 265 enforcement actions against businesses and government organizations for various violations, including a $2 billion agreement with the cityof Los Angeles to rebuild488 miles of sewer lines and clean 2,800 miles of sewers annually.The $50 million in the San Gabriel Valley came from multiple settlements to remove groundwater contaminants in Industry and Baldwin Park.For the Puente Valley Operable Superfund Site, 13 companies agreed this year to pay $34.6 million in cleanup costs. The contaminated water in Industry and portions of La Puente and Walnut contain high levels of volatile organic compounds used for degreasing and cleaning metal.“This is the most significant year for the site in terms of getting the settlements,” said Dustin Minor, an attorney with the EPA.So far, $21 million has been spent in the cleanup effort, according to Minor. The EPA anticipates settlements with more companies next year or later this year, Minor said.Relatively few parties are not cooperating, he added. [email protected], Ext. 2513 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Neil Warnock reflects on his recent sacking as QPR manager in his weekly column in The Independent.“I just don’t fit in with the mould of a Premier League manager. I treat the club’s money as if it were my own and I resent paying over the odds,” he says.Safe or not?The Daily Star report that QPR are losing their battle to sign new players in time for Sunday’s game at Newcastle – and that new manager Mark Hughes has been told his job will be safe even if Rangers are relegated.The Guardian, on the other hand, report that Hughes’ job will not be safe if Rangers go down.The Daily Mail say QPR plan to table improved offers for Chelsea defender Alex and Tottenham midfielder Steven Pienaar after failing with their initial bids.And a number of papers claim Hughes was furious about Martin Jol’s recent comments about him.Related story: Fulham boss shrugs off Hughes claim (12 January)Meanwhile, Sunderland are keen to sign Fulham striker Bobby Zamora, according to the Daily Mirror.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Chris Ramsey has made four changes for today’s game at Loftus Road.With Charlie Austin and Jamie Mackie both unavailable, the QPR head coach has given Jay Emmanuel-Thomas his first start of the season.Leroy Fer also starts and there are recalls for Grant Hall and Daniel Tozser, with Massimo Luongo, James Perch and Alejandro Faurlin dropped to the bench.Striker Sebastian Polter, fit again after a hamstring injury, is also among the Rangers substitutes.Bolton, meanwhile, welcome back Dorian Dervite after suspension.QPR: Green, Onuoha, Angella, Hall, Konchesky; Tozser, Henry, Phillips, Fer, Chery; Emmanuel-Thomas.Subs: Smithies, Perch, Sandro, Doughty, Luongo, Polter, Faurlin.Bolton: Amos, Pisano, Dervite, Prince, Moxey, Davies, Danns, Pratley, Feeney, Clayton, Madine.Subs: Rachubka, Vela, Spearing, Casado, Wellington, Dobbie, Wheater.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Soybean planting around Ohio is nearly complete, but some of those fields planted more recently are having a hard time emerging due to crusting. As DuPont Pioneer Account Manager Ben Murphy shares in this week’s DuPont Pioneer Field Report, his area of Ottawa, Sandusky, Huron and Erie Counties is seeing challenges with emergence in recent planted fields and population in earlier planted fields. The Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins has more.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The Advanced Biobased Systems Workshop: Pipeline to Commercialization will bring together leaders in industry and research to explore the development and commercialization of biobased fuels and products.The workshop, a collaboration between The Ohio State University (OSU) and the Ohio Soybean Council (OSC), will be held Sept. 10 at the Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center on OSU’s Columbus campus, with a networking farm tour and barbecue on Sept. 9. Keynote speaker Roger Wyse, a managing partner with Spruce Capital Partners, will discuss the investment community’s perspective in funding biobased technologies.President of FDC Enterprises, Fred Circle, will speak about managing perennial grasses for energy production. Richard Fitzpatrick with Kreussler, Inc., and Mike Feazel with Roof Maxx Technologies will share their experience with the practical aspects of commercializing biobased products. Barry McGraw, director of product development and commercialization for the Ohio Soybean Council, and Ram Lalgudi, a senior research scientist at Battelle, will share their views on how to successfully develop biobased products. The workshop will conclude with Patrick Heist, co-owner of Ferm Solutions and the Wilderness Trail Distillery, who will share his story of commercializing microbial products for fuels and beverages.Registration includes a continental breakfast and lunch, and the Sunday networking event. Registration is $60 on or before Aug. 27 and $75 after that date. A special student rate of $30 is offered, but student registrations must be received on or before August 20.The first 50 people to register for the event can use the code “OSC” to waive their registration fee. If applying on paper, please write OSC at the top of your registration.More information about the workshop including agenda and registration can be found by visiting probe.osu.edu or by contacting Barry McGraw at [email protected] or 614-476-3100.
This post was written by Jay Morse & Heidi Radunovich, PhD, members of the MFLN Family Development (FD) team which aims to support the development of professionals working with military families. Find out more about the Military Families Learning Network FD concentration on our website, on Facebook, on Twitter, YouTube, and on LinkedIn. By Jay Morse & Heidi Radunovich, PhDThe American Psychological Association’s code of ethics holds psychologists responsible for ensuring their competency to practice. In their call to “take care and do no harm” and to be aware of their own health and the influence that may have on their practice , military psychologists are often faced with assessing their own psychological and emotional health under the pressure of combat. In a review of literature relevant to professional competency and secondary trauma, Johnson, Bertschinger, Snell, and Wilson  have addressed the need for professional competence in a combat zone and provided recommendations for self-care and possible solutions for self-assessment for military clinical psychologists.In combat situations, military psychologists can be susceptible to compassion fatigue, burnout, and secondary traumatic stress. Compassion fatigue is evident when a practitioner begins to treat a client on a purely cognitive level and to lose the ability to emotionally process a client’s story. Burnout evolves over time and can result in feelings of hostility toward clients. Risk factors associated with compassion fatigue may include:Experiences of helplessness or lack of power to assist clientsLack of supportA personal history of traumaWorking with trauma survivors for an extended period of timeObserving and interacting with military members who have witnessed death, serious injury, or have experienced threats to their own well-being can place military psychologists at risk for secondary traumatic stress (STS). Risk factors that may be associated with STS include:InexperienceA caseload filled with traumatized clientsPersonal experience of combat-related or childhood traumaIn addition to the risk of compassion fatigue and STS, military clinical psychologists (MCPs) have dual identities – that of a practicing medical professional and as a commissioned military officer. These competing demands can cause a wide variety of moral dilemmas when making treatment decisions. The difficulty of making complex moral decisions places additional stress on combat clinicians. The stress of combat, addressing the ethical dilemmas of being a military officer and a psychologist, and the risk of combat fatigue or STS can place a burden on a military psychologist. To minimize the risks associated with the challenges of this position, the authors have made the following recommendations:Actively pursue self-care – Pay close attention to the basics: physical activity, sleep, and nutrition. Maintain a balance between your personal and professional life as much as possible, and deliberately self-assess using reminders such as a checklist.Engage with colleagues – Regular conversations with peers can provide support and most importantly provide a critical assessment of your mental and health. Be open to expressing your own grief and suffering.References American Psychological Association. (2010). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx Johnson, W., Bertschinger, M., Snell, A., & Wilson, A. (2014). Secondary trauma and ethical obligations for military psychologists: Preserving compassion and competence in the crucible of combat. Psychological Services, 11(1), 68-74. doi:10.1037/a0033913
Roxodus Advertisement Login/Register With: Twitter Advertisement Advertisement Organizers of the now-defunct Roxodus music festival are under investigation and could face fines and charges after mowing down trees and draining wetlands to make room for the four-day concert that was abruptly cancelled earlier this month.“There were environmentally protected lands that were impacted by these guys,” said Doug Measures, mayor of the Township of Clearview.The investigation has been launched by the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority (NVCA) and, according to officials from the County of Simcoe, it could result in charges under the municipality’s forestry conservation bylaw. Officials said 18 hectares of woodlands were cleared without the proper permits or prior approval. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook