Captain of West Indies Women Stafanie Taylor says emulating the feat of four years ago of their male counterparts remains the focus ahead of next month’s ICC Women’s World Twenty20 tournament in India.Describing the triumph by the men in 2012 as a signature accomplishment, Taylor said the victory by the team brought pride and joy to the Caribbean, and they would like to do likewise.”For us women, it would be great, as the men actually won a Twenty20 World Cup, and we have been so close (semi-finals) to winning it,” remarked Taylor.”For the Caribbean, it would be fantastic, as a lot of people are behind us and know that we have the potential to go out there and do the job.”The Jamaican all-rounder, who will be captain of the side for the first time at a global event, has, however, cautioned that the job should be difficult.She explained that other teams like defending champions Australia and perennial title challengers England are expected to be strong, while developing teams are getting better.This, she further noted, is evidenced by hosts India, who, in light of being a traditional lightweight in the female version of the sport, defeated the Australians recently.TOUGH TEAMS AHEAD”I think all the team’s are going to be tough. As such, we will not take any team for granted,” highlighted Taylor.”We are (therefore) going to have to be on our P’s and Q’s to be right up there.”Meanwhile, as it relates to preparation, Taylor said it has been good so far, with the team looking to do well on their tour of South Africa.”In the few games that we have been in at the camp, the team really looks good,” she said.”It’s just for us to now prepare ourselves for South Africa and then take it from there.”The West Indians are scheduled to play three Twenty20 and three one-day internationals in South Africa.The Women’s World Twenty20 World Cup, which will be held between March 15 and April 9, will see the West Indies at the preliminary stage contesting Group B alongside England, India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
Here’s the top transfer-related stories in Friday’s newspapers…Manchester United want to re-sign Old Trafford great Cristiano Ronaldo as the club intensifies its efforts to build a potentially title-winning squad. United are working on what could be a new club-record deal to bring Ronaldo back to Manchester six years after he joined Real Madrid for a world record £80m. (Manchester Evening News)Manchester United are also on the brink of a deal for Barcelona’s unsettled forward Pedro – and the transfer could be sealed next week. (Daily Express)Real Madrid’s president, Florentino Pérez, and the chief executive, José Ángel Sánchez, will hold talks with Sergio Ramos in China this weekend, when they will tell the central defender they do not want to sell him, despite his desire to leave for Manchester United. (Guardian)Tottenham want to unite Saido Berahino and Harry Kane in a striking dream team. Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is desperate to strengthen his attack and is ready to make a firm bid for West Brom forward Berahino, a long-term target. The Baggies are aware of Tottenham’s interest and are trying to tie down the 21-year-old – who has played alongside last season’s goal-scoring sensation Kane for England Under-21s – with a new contract. (Daily Mirror)Aston Villa want to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Spurs and are targeting £12m-rated Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani. (Daily Mirror)Tottenham, West Ham and Aston Villa are ready to test Crystal Palace’s resolve to hang on to Yannick Bolasie. (Daily Mirror)Crystal Palace midfielder Barry Bannan has been told he can leave the club this summer. The Scotland international was on the peripheries of Alan Pardew’s squad last season, spending the final months on loan at Bolton. And the former Aston Villa man is likely to leave Selhurst Park before the transfer window closes. (Daily Mail)Arsenal director Lord Harris has backed Arsene Wenger to break the club transfer record on a new centre forward, with the long-serving board member revealing funds are available to sign ‘anyone but Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. (Daily Mail)And Arsene Wenger is eyeing an £8million move for Fernando Llorente — as he fears missing out on Karim Benzema. (The Sun)Jose Mourinho has confirmed he is going to give Victor Moses a chance to resurrect his Chelsea career this season. (London Evening Standard)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Manchester United target Thomas Muller is priceless, claims Bayern Munich chief Karl-Heinz RummeniggeManchester United accept £45m offer from PSG for Angel Di Maria – reportsArsenal and Tottenham both eyeing Borussia Dortmund hitman Pierre-Emerick AubameyangKevin De Bruyne latest: Wolfsburg deny holding talks with Manchester City over potential £60m dealTottenham target Salvatore Sirigu insists his future is at PSGLiverpool transfer report: Brendan Rodgers plans to make £21m Pedro his EIGHTH summer signingNorwich set to bid £2m for Fiorentina full-back Marcos AlonsoLeicester weigh up move for Galatasaray captain Selcuk InanCharlie Austin latest! QPR have not given up hope of keeping striker, claims Chris RamseyWest Ham and Real Betis eye Barcelona wonderkid Alen HalilovicReports – No chance ‘next Franck Ribery’ will join Newcastle this summer
OTTAWA – A lawsuit that says a federal agency has consistently approved pesticides without enough information on their potential harmful effects has survived an attempt to get it thrown out of court.The Federal Court has denied applications from the federal government and four chemical companies to block the lawsuit involving so-called neonic pesticides filed by a group of environmental organizations.“We’re definitely very happy to see that outcome,” said Julia Croome, a lawyer for Ecojustice, which is handling the case for the environmental groups. “(The judge) turned this around quickly and we appreciate that.”In 2016, the groups filed a challenge to federal permits for a series of common pesticides using the chemicals clothianidin and thiamethoxam that some environmental groups say are suspected in large die-offs in bee populations.The David Suzuki Foundation, Friends of the Earth Canada, Ontario Nature and the Wilderness Committee allege in court documents that for more than a decade, Canada’s federal pesticide regulator has allowed neonicotinoids to be registered for use despite being uncertain about their risks.They say that since 2006, the Pest Management Regulatory Agency has expressed concerns about the safety of those products, which are among the most widely used pesticides in Canada. The registrations being challenged involve 31 different products from four different companies.A statement of claim asserts that in 79 cases, the agency requested more information and field studies on the products, then granted conditional registrations. Conditional registrations were repeatedly renewed although the agency has yet to receive any of the requested research, says the statement of claim.The groups argue that means the pesticides have been widely applied across the country for more than a decade without a true assessment of their risks.The federal government has not filed a statement of defence.None of the allegations in the statement of claim have been proven in court.In trying to get the case thrown out, the government argued the 79 cases were separate decisions, not a pattern of behaviour. It added that instead of seeking to have the registrations quashed by the court, the environmental groups should instead turn to the review process the regulator already has.Bees are crucial to agriculture. Published reports suggest about a third of the crops eaten by humans depend on insect pollination. Bees are responsible for about 80 per cent of that figure.Bees have been in serious decline across North America and Europe since about 2006. In Canada, the Canadian Honey Council reports that in 2013-14, beekeepers lost an average of about 25 per cent of their colonies. Ontario’s losses were 58 per cent.The average winter loss is about 15 per cent.Populations of wild bees are also falling rapidly. A recent American study found their numbers fell by about 23 per cent between 2008 and 2013.The University of Guelph’s Honeybee Research Centre blames a combination of disease, parasites, pesticides and habitat destruction.A major U.S. study earlier this year found neonics harmed domestic bees in some crops but not others. Research suggests the pesticides are much harder on wild bees than honeybees.Europe has imposed a moratorium on neonics. In 2015, the U.S. banned new uses for them. Ontario has announced plans to limit their application. Companies such as Ortho and Home Depot have announced they will phase them out.Still, they remain in wide use.The Conference Board of Canada, in a 2014 report prepared with support from the Grain Farmers of Ontario and CropLife Canada, estimated banning neonics would cost Ontario farmers $630 million a year.— By Bob Weber in Edmonton. Follow @row1960 on Twitter.
SOOKE, B.C. – Another human foot has been found on British Columbia’s coastline, the latest in more than a dozen such grim discoveries over the past decade.RCMP say a man was out for walk Thursday on the beach in Jordan River, about 30 kilometres northwest of Sooke on Vancouver Island, when his dog found the foot in a shoe with part of the leg attached.Mounties say the man contacted the Sooke detachment, which attended the scene along with a coroner, and the body part was seized and the area searched.The investigation has been turned over to the B.C. Coroners Service and spokesman Andy Watson says an early analysis suggests the remains are human.Watson says the coroner will work to determine the identity of the deceased, how the person died and whether it was accidental, a suicide or homicide.He says the foot is the 13th to wash up on B.C.’s coastline since 2007 and eight of the feet have been identified as belonging to six people, none of whom died by foul play.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said the foot was found in Sooke and that 14 feet have washed ashore in the past decade and 10 have been identified as belonging to seven people.