Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Alan BruglerDTN Contributing AnalystThe stars for Friday’s USDA reports were clearly the Planting Intentions for 2019 corn and soybeans, with large corn stocks (as of March 1) getting the award for best supporting actor in a bear costume. USDA showed intentions for 92.792 million acres (ma) of corn in 2019, with soybeans at 84.617 ma. The former was up 3.66 ma from last year, while soybeans were down 4.579 ma. Traders, analysts and even random guys at coffee shops were expecting some shift to soybeans and corn, but the degree of shifting caught some by surprise. I’ll also argue that the data showed a big implied increase in unplanted acres. Let’s deal with that one first.The top table shows what USDA calls Principal Crop Acres for 2019 based on the Planting Intentions report. Please note, that hay is only shown by USDA as a harvested number, and there was no number for rye, so I used a plug number. I combined several types of edible beans on one line, and caught things like potatoes in the Miscellaneous category.Note that primary crops totaled 315.352 ma, which is 4.226 ma below last year. Either folks were sandbagging in the surveys or they were literally sandbagging and expecting that nothing would be planted in their fields this year.A small part of the difference may be double-crop soybean intentions, which create acres out of thin air and subtract them the same way. With lower winter wheat plantings and lower soy prices you tend to get fewer double-crop beans. That said, prevented planting “plans” or “suspicions” likely account for much of the shortfall.If we plug in 5.5 million prevented planting (PP) acres, our bottom line total for planted, CRP and PP is within 617,000 ma of last year and 2 ma plus from 2017. Is 5.5 ma realistic?My second table shows only 1.9 ma were prevented in 2018, but 6.6 ma were on the sidelines in 2015 and 8.3 ma in 2013. There is a price to pay for claiming prevented planting. The check you get isn’t large compared to what you can make on a good crop, and claims in any kind of insurance tend to raise future premiums. You do it because you have to. If it stays wet, the 5.5 ma for PP could be conservative.Now back to the corn and soybeans. The main questions I got following the acreage report went something like this, “Isn’t that corn number too high? Isn’t it likely to shrink due to prevented planting or switching to soybeans?”Perhaps a little, but not a lot.Here are my reasons:1. The survey was focused on the first 10 days of March, but data was taken up to March 19. If you were in the Western Corn Belt, that period was about as bleak as it gets. You were already being flooded, or you were staring at 20 inches or more of snow that had been there seemingly forever. You weren’t likely to overstate your corn intentions. The soy-to-corn ratio says to grow more corn. Anything below 2.3:1, which we had last fall, says to grow a lot more corn. Ratios below 2.5:1 still suggest a little creep toward corn and away from beans. The market has spent much of 2019 in the 2.3 to 2.4 range.2. A peek at corn planting intentions by state versus a year ago shows higher planned acreage for the entire Corn Belt (except Missouri and Ohio) and also in the Southeast and the Northern Plains. Those with more favorable moisture profiles are also planning to plant more corn. Therefore, Friday’s numbers were fundamentally bearish for corn, but probably not as much as the price movement would have you believe. The low acreage for soybeans wasn’t particularly supportive, because cutting 4.579 ma at 50 bushels per acre only cuts 229 ma from the total supply. Current old-crop ending stocks are expected to be 900 ma. There is plenty of fat there. Yes, a China purchase deal could change that fairly quickly, but the deal isn’t signed yet. As my grandma always said, don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched.Alan Brugler may be reached at [email protected](BE/BAS)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.
Make A Film Foundation (MAFF), a non-profit film wish granting organization for children with life-threatening medical conditions, will present a premiere of The Black Ghiandola at a fundraising benefit screening to be held on Saturday April 22nd at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.MAFF and Richard Chamberlain, Laura Dern, David Lynch, Anthony Conti, Johnny Depp, Catherine Hardwicke, Adele Rene, Tamika LamisonRed Carpet starts at 6:00 p.m.The Black Ghiandola film fulfills the dream of 16-year-old Anthony Conti who suffered from stage four adrenal cortical cancer. He stars in the project along with Johnny Depp, J.K. Simmons, Laura Dern, David Lynch, Chad L. Coleman, Richard Chamberlain, Penelope Ann Miller, Keith Allan, Jade Pettyjohn and Pritesh Shah. The film was directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight), Theodore Melfi (Hidden Figures) and Sam Raimi (Spiderman Trilogy).The Black Ghiandola is about a boy who risks his life to save a young girl he has grown to love – after his family has been killed in an apocalyptic world of Zombies. Conti’s idea went from conception to completion in only one month, with the generous help of top professional talent that donated their time and energy to the project.According to Tamika Lamison, founder and executive director of MAFF, “Make A Film Foundation teams critically ill children with notable actors, directors, producers and writers. We believe that the art of filmmaking not only helps children make a personal statement about what they are going through, but it is also offers them a sense of hope, while also building their self-esteem.”During this special event, J.K. Simmons will accept the Mentorship Award for his work with MAFF. Mohamed Bzeek, a man who has committed himself to caring for and fostering terminally ill children until they die, will receive the Humanitarian Award.There will be a panel discussion led by moderator, Leonard Maltin (American Film Critic and Historian) with cast and crew, and a musical performance by Adam Gontier, of “Saint Asonia” as well as a VIP pre-reception and a post-event dessert reception for all.Make A Film Foundation grants film wishes to children who have serious or life-threatening medical conditions by teaming them with noted actors, writers, producers and directors who help them to create short film legacies. Over 100 documentaries and four short narrative films have been completed so far.For further information about MAFF, or to order tickets to the event ($25 for Screening and $100 VIP with Reception and Gift Bag), or to donate, please visit: www.makeafilmfoundation.org;To purchase tickets, click here.
EDMONTON – Alberta Finance Minister Joe Ceci says he is not considering introducing a sales tax to help cure the province’s financial woes because Albertans don’t support it.Ceci says the idea of a sales tax came up today when he had a roundtable meeting with economists but says having no provincial sales tax reflects, in his words, “the mindset of Albertans.”Ceci says the province will continue to try to reduce spending and grow the economy with an eye to balancing the budget by 2023.Alberta is on track for a $10.3-billion deficit this year and more than $42 billion in debt by next spring.Economist Robert Kavcic with BMO Capital Markets says Alberta’s low tax regime gives it room to manoeuvre and, from an economic perspective, a consumption tax is the best way to ensure a stable base of revenue in tough times.Opposition Alberta Party interim leader Greg Clark says the province should have a conversation around a sales tax, adding people will accept such a levy if the government can demonstrate it will use the money prudently.
BCNREB President, Leah Mayer, says the Northern Region continued to see a decrease of 7.64 percent in sales, but a 5.55 percent increase in active listings.“Many of the communities in our Board region saw a decrease in the number of sales and the number of listings. Overall the sales activity has decreased by 7.64 percent, and the number of active listings has increased by 5.55 percent.”Despite the decrease in most Northern markets for the first half of 2019, the Fort St. John market saw an increase of 258 property sales with an overall value of $85.4 million in comparison to the 2018 number of 243.As of June 30, there were 687 properties of all types available for purchase in Fort St. John.For more information, you visit the B.C. Northern Real Estate Board’s website. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The B.C. Northern Real Estate Board has released its listing statistics for the second quarter of 2019.Within the first six months of 2019, the Real Estate Board has reported 2,298 with a value of $716.5 million.This compares with 2,488 sales worth $680.2 million in the first half of 2018.
Kolkata: On the eve of the Bengali New Year, Trinamool Congress candidates across the state got themselves engaged in exchanging greetings with the voters and organised intense campaigns to renew contacts with the people.Sudip Bandyopadhyay, who is contesting from the North Kolkata seat, campaigned at ward 52 in Janbazar area of Central Kolkata. “BJP will not get a single seat in Bengal as they have no organisation in the state. The first phase of elections in Alipurduar and Cooch Behar has already been held. Our internal party inputs have indicated that we are winning these two seats,” Bandyopadhyay said. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaHe said that he is contesting in the elections for the 9th time and has won eight times. “I have been campaigning regularly and the support that I am getting from people is overwhelming. I am confident of winning this time too,” he added. Bandyopadhyay was accompanied by Swarnakamal Saha, who is an MLA from Entally and Nayna Bandyopadhyay, MLA of Chowringhee. TMC candidate from the Kolkata South seat Mala Roy campaigned at areas like Manoharpukur Road, Sarat Bose Road and Deshapriya Park. She was accompanied by MMiC Debasish Kumar. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayTMC candidate from Purulia Mriganko Mahato gave the slogan of Mamata Di Arekbar (Mamata Banerjee again) as a counter to BJP’s slogan ‘Ei Trinamool Ar Na’ (Trinamool not again). Mahato, who is a doctor by profession, started his campaign from Indkuri Junction at Manbazar and after travelling through various areas, reached Manbazar bus stand. The TMC supporters chanted poems that they have come up with, highlighting the various people-friendly schemes of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, like Sabuj Sathi, Khadya Sathi, Rupashree etc. Local MLA Sandhya Rani Tudu and senior leaders of the district accompanied them. Meanwhile, state Cooperation minister and MLA from Central Howrah Arup Roy took out a rally on the occasion of Ram Navami. The rally also campaigned for Trinamool Congress candidate Prasun Banerjee, who has been fielded from the Howrah seat. Roy hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi and claimed that this Lok Sabha election will witness the ouster of BJP from the Centre. Slogans like ‘Gali Gali Me Shor Hain, Chowkidar Chor Hai’ were raised against the Prime Minister at the rally. It started from Agra Sen Street in Belur and traversed several areas under the Shibpur police station. Roy walked and exchanged pleasantries with the voters. Hitting out at BJP’s Ram Navami processions with arms that were taken out in various parts of the state, he said: “Ram is an embodiment of sacrifice. He has never said that children would take up arms for his worship. BJP will not get a single seat in Bengal.” TMC candidate from Basirhat Nusrat Jahan also campaigned and interacted with the people of the constituency. “Voting for me means voting for Mamata Banerjee. You should vote for her for a good future. Don’t waste your vote,” she asserted.
New Delhi: Railways has instructed its zones to expedite the process of handing over retiring rooms and dormitories at railway stations to IRCTC, which have been pending for over two years, so that they can not only be developed and upgraded but also facilitate online booking.In a letter issued by the railway board on May 2, railways has instructed all zones to expedite the process of signing agreements with the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) to hand over such facilities. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh”We intend to upgrade the retiring rooms to international standards in hospitality offerings with facilities like quality mattresses and linen, almirah/locker for luggage, LED TV, telephone and intercom, firefighting equipment, potable water and room heaters. The services will be linked with local sightseeing and tours and travel services that the IRCTC has been successfully managing,” a senior IRCTC official said. Railways currently manages around 2,000 retiring rooms or dormitories at more than 600 stations. The facility is meant to provide reasonable safe transit accommodation to bona fide passengers, who can book a retiring room for a maximum of 72 hours. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadIRCTC will allow bookings in slots – – ranging from three hours, 6 hours, 12 hours and 24 hours – -, an official said while stating the prices for the same will vary from station to station. The then Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu had in his 2016-17 budget speech announced that “retiring rooms will be handed over to IRCTC to ensure that these can be managed in a professional manner.” It was then that railways had issued policy guidelines to all its zonal divisions to put the process into action and the IRCTC was asked to prepare a phase-wise road map for the takeover.
Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck is confident that he can play alongside both Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre LacazetteThe England international scored a brace in Arsenal’s 3-2 win over Southampton at the Emirates on Sunday with Aubameyang having also scored on the day.Welbeck, who has been struggling with two serious knee injuries over the past few seasons, was praised by Arsene Wenger for having made his way back into the first-team.While normally Welbeck would have to compete against Arsenal’s recent big money signings, the former Manchester United player is confident that he would team-up well with the pair.“As you’ve seen, I can play with Pierre and with Laca,” said Welbeck, according to Sky Sports.“It is nice. It gives you that added motivation. The competition is there so you are going to improve and better yourself.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“I’ve had that throughout my whole career. Being at an academy where players come from all over the world and it is the same here, you are always going to have that competition. It is healthy.“I know I can link up with plenty of the players in this team.”Welbeck also expressed his confidence that he would be a suitable option to replace the injured Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who suffered knee ligament damage in last weeks’s 4-1 win over CSKA Moscow in the Europa League.“We don’t know how bad Henrikh’s injury is at the moment,” said the 27 year-old.“We all wish him a speedy recovery. Hopefully he is available as soon as possible, but it is the manager’s decision who he wants in the team.“Obviously, with the goals today I’ve staked my claim. Going into the game on Thursday, we want to get the win and get into the next round.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, September 2, 2016 – Man Now Charged With Two Murders say Police minutes ago.The 33 year old Freeport man who marketed himself as a carpenter and bouncer and is a graduate of Grand Bahama’s Jack Hayward High School will be held in custody until he faces the Magistrate on September 5, 2016.The man, arrested on Wednesday roughly six weeks since the more recent murder was taken from a Millenium Heights residence after Police waited in a lengthy stake out of the house in phase II.Police believe they have the killer behind the brutal murders of both Yuneiry Veras and Sorineida Arias of the Dominican Republic. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:carpenter and bouncer, Man charged with two murders
For voters with the wrong voter registration information who want to participate in the August 21 primary they are encouraged to vote a questioned ballot that would then be analyzed by the Regional Review Board. Borough Clerk Johni Blankenship: “Central precinct will be voting at the Soldotna Sports Center, K-beach will be at the K-beach fire station. Kenai 1 is at the Kenai Mall, Kenai 2 is at the Challenger Learning Center, Kenai 3 is at the Kenai Senior Center. And Soldotna precinct which is more than just that Soldotna city limits, will be voting at Soldotna City Hall. There are also some areas that are close, Kasilof will be voting at Kasilof fire station and Nikiski at the Nikiski Community Center. Salmantof at the Nikiski Fire Station number 1. Sterling is at Sterling Community Center, so Sterling 1 and 2. And of course we will have absentee voting available here at the borough building from 7am to 8pm when the polls close.”