Sales up for Irn-Bru maker A G Barr

first_imgA G Barr, maker of Irn-Bru, has revealed a turnover increase of 5.8% in its interim financial statement. Its turnover has risen to £82.4m for the six months to 26 July, despite the soggy summer season.Pre-tax profit hit the £11.1m mark and earnings per share rose to 44.16p – up 12.6% on last year.Barr said that sales were boosted by its partnership with Rockstar Energy, as well as new brands, Taut and Vitsmart. Recently it acquired juice drinks company Rubicon.Irn-Bru’s continued strong sales have seen ongoing popularity in its Scottish market, and Barr will continue to support the energy drink with consumer and trade activities.The company’s still fruit drinks brands, Simply and St Clement’s, have seen a combined growth of 23%.In a statement, the company said: “We completed the £2.85m purchase of a further 20.5-acre site adjacent to our Cumbernauld facility in September. This will not only allow for future expansion, but will also immediately decrease operating costs through increased efficiency of raw-material storage, fewer finished-product stock movements and reduced outside-storage requirements.”[http://www.agbarr.co.uk]last_img read more

Fans or no fans? Tokyo Olympic organizers still mum

first_imgTOKYO (AP) — One of the biggest unanswered questions about the Tokyo Olympics deals with fans. Will there be any from abroad? And will fans of any sort be allowed in outdoor stadiums or smaller indoor arenas? Organizing committee President Yoshiro Mori says “no spectators is one of the options.” The International Olympic Committee and Tokyo organizers will roll out their “Playbook” next week. The detailed plan about how to hold the games during a pandemic will set down strict rules for thousands of athletes arriving in Japan. The Nikkan Sports newspaper reports that organizers are expected to announce “soon” that fans from abroad will not be allowed to attend.last_img read more

3,000 Athletes to Run at 5th Okpekpe Race

first_imgOver 3,000 athletes have been confirmed to run at the fifth Okpekpe International 10km Road Race which holds tomorrow at Okekpe near Auchi in Edo State.A top technical official of the race, Yusuf Alli disclosed thursday in Okpekpe that the number is made up of over 23 foreign elite athletes and 32 from the Nigerian elite class.“The elite athletes, both foreign and local are here in Auchi. They will go on a route tour today to familiarise themselves with the race course in line with International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) rules,” said Alli, a former Nigeria long jump king and former Commonwealth record holder. “I am delighted with the huge number of locals especially from North Ibie side which includes Okpekpe. It shows they have fully embraced the race. They will not only be running to be fit or just for the fun of it. They also have the opportunity to win money at the event. There is prize money for the North Ibie athletes courtesy Mr John Momoh, chairman and chief executive officer of Channels Television,” revealed Ali who restated the organisers preparedness for the race.“Everything is set. The athletes are here. We have done the lining of the route, particularly the kilometer markings. There will be water, sponges and refreshment stations along the route and at the finish and if I must add, the drinking/sponging and refreshment stations are adequately staffed by competent personnel and everything has been done in accordance with IAAF Rule 240.8,” he said.Ali also hinted that doping procedures will follow immediately after the race.“We have a doping station built since last year and it will be manned by competent anti-doping officers led by Dr Akin Amao formerly of the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports. The IAAF has listed the race as an international competition which means the doping will be done as if it is the IAAF World Championship that is taking place. The race is one of only two listed by the IAAF on their website as an international competition”He also said the race will be timed using full automatic electronic timing system and that there will be split timing at every kilometre.”A clock Car will precede the race leaders indicating the time elapsed since the start of the race. The timing for the race will be done by MYLAPS Sports Timing, the internationally recognised automatic sports timing company. Last year we raised the bar in terms of organising road races in Nigeria by joining such world acclaimed marathons as Boston, Rotterdam and Melbourne marathons who now rely on MYLAPS technology for the world-class timing of their events“We also have the tracking application to enable the media, athletes and their friends and families as well as spectators and even sponsors to follow the progress of the participants as well as the entire organisation of the event.”Last year Kenyan duo of Simon Cheprot and Polline Wanjiku Njeru came first in the male and female categories respectively. They went home with $15,000 prize money each after finishing in a record time of 29min: 48sec and 33min: 53sec respectively.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Three players sign WICB contract with resolution in sight

first_imgKINGSTON, Jamaica, (CMC): Only three players so far have signed contracts with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) to represent the region in the T20 World Cup, just days before a Valentine’s Day deadline runs out. WICB Chief Executive Michael Muirhead made the disclosure late yesterday without revealing the names of those who have put pen to paper before Sunday’s deadline. His revelation came as a fresh contract crisis erupted this week over wages, between the WICB and players selected for the T20 World Cup starting next month in India. “Three have signed and one has indicated that he would not be able to participate because of injury so he will be replaced,” disclosed Muirhead, in an interview with Caribupdate News. “I will not name names at this point until the player is replaced and until Sunday when at that point I will then decide the appropriate time to release such”. Captain Darren Sammy and the players are contending that the remuneration on offer from the board for the T20 World Cup is unacceptable, and have called for a return to the amounts offered under the previous contract. The players concerns were contained in a letter from Sammy to Muirhead rejecting the notion that WIPA was their legitimate representative. However, Muirhead has expressed confidence that the rest of the players would also sign the contract and disclosed that he has received a second letter from Sammy with a conciliatory tone. “I am confident I think they will sign. I think just the tone of Sammy’s letter. I think he almost sound like he is speaking for himself but I assume he is speaking on behalf of most of the players if not all,” said Muirhead. “I assume that most if not all will sign not withstanding they may be some outstanding issues that he may want to take up after but certainly nothing could happen before. So I am confident that they will sign”. Muirhead has also confirmed that the Clive Lloyd led selection committee has already begun selecting a cadre of available players to represent the region in the World Cup, if they are needed. “That’s in the hands of the selectors right now. I am not sure at what stage they are but they have convened,” he said. “They were looking at the cadre of players who are out there and are available and will be putting that list together”. In his letter to the WICB Chief Executive, Sammy had pointed out that the T20 World Cup four years ago, the lowest paid player was guaranteed almost US$60 000 while the highest player stood to make almost US$138 000. He argued that with only US$27 600 on offer for the upcoming tournament, it represented between a 50 and 80 per cent pay cut for players. According to Muirhead, while Sammy’s second letter expressed his intention to represent West Indies at the World Cup he remains resolute that the WICB reconsiders the pay package. “We are not opposed to reconsidering but it would have to be done through the single and recognised representative body being WIPA,” Muirhead said.. “The book is never closed but it cannot be for a single group.”last_img read more

Sisemore leads Crusaders past Jags

first_imgThe St. Bernard’s girls withstood a late comeback and rode a stellar night from the free-throw line to advance to the elite eight of the Division-IV NorCals on Wednesday night.Jasa Sisemore and Emily Gardner were both outstanding for the Crusaders throughout, as St. Bernard’s held off a physical and stubborn Kimball team for a 52-50 victory in Eureka.If defensive intensity has been the story so far for the St. Bernard’s girls in what has been a memorable postseason run, it was the team’s …last_img read more

Government seeks increased public and Indigenous participation for resource projects

first_imgThe Province hopes the environmental assessment process will enhance the public’s and Indigenous participation if passed, by keeping the First Nations communities more engaged and involved.“Having Indigenous collaboration from the beginning means a more certain and efficient process where good projects can move forward more quickly, providing benefits to Indigenous peoples while respecting their rights, values and culture,” said Heyman. “We want to reduce the potential for the types of legal challenges we’ve too frequently seen in B.C. These have impacted our province’s economic development, eroded public trust, alienated Indigenous communities and left project proponents trying to navigate through a costly, time-consuming process.”With more open engagement from the public and First Nations groups the Government will be able to better understand the needs of all parties included before making formal decisions.Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs“I am relieved that the day has finally come when we are beginning to see the legislative and policy shifts that are necessary and essential to facilitate genuine reconciliation. Recognizing Indigenous governments, laws, jurisdictions and decision-making is an essential part of this, and the legislation today is a small step in the right direction. The Province of British Columbia has committed to fully implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, including free, prior and informed consent, and we are looking forward to seeing this realized on the ground through environmental assessments under the new process. We are hopeful that the new legislation will ensure the sustainability of our precious lands and waters for our children and grandchildren and all British Columbians. While much more legislative and policy change is urgently needed, today is a good day.” VICTORIA B.C. – The B.C. government introduced legislation to modernize the environmental assessment process for resource projects.In 1995 B.C. was one of the first provinces to introduce environmental assessment legislation, a system for responsible resource projects, reconciliation with B.C.’s Indigenous peoples, environmental protection, increased transparency and increased public engagement.“By revitalizing our environmental assessment process, we’re striking a better balance for our province, where good projects that respect B.C.’s environment, Indigenous peoples and the public will be approved more quickly,” said George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy. “Our province was built upon the wealth of natural resources at our disposal. This legislation reaffirms the continued importance of these resources to British Columbians and enhances public trust by engaging people and communities early to ensure our resources are used sustainably. Growing a strong economy and protecting the environment we all cherish go hand in hand. That’s the legacy we want our kids and grandkids to inherit.”last_img read more

Shahrukh meets CM at Nabanna

first_imgKolkata: Ahead of the their second IPL match at Eden Gardens, Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner Shahrukh Khan met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at state secretariat Nabanna on Tuesday. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee expressed her confidence that Shahrukh’s team will win this year, while SRK sported the victory sign while leaving Nabanna in the evening. SRK said “We will all win this year” and hugged Banerjee, who exulted saying “Brother and sister always winners.” Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaKKR, who had won their first match against Sunrisers Hyderabad at their home ground Eden Gardens, is set to play their second match, again at home, against Kings XI Punjab on Wednesday. KKR has won the IPL twice and Banerjee was a part of the celebrations during both. Khan has been attending the Kolkata International Film Festival on more than one occasion in the last few years and is also the brand ambassador of Bengal.last_img read more

Trinamool candidates exchange greetings with voters across city

first_imgKolkata: On the eve of the Bengali New Year, Trinamool Congress candidates across the state got themselves engaged in exchanging greetings with the voters and organised intense campaigns to renew contacts with the people.Sudip Bandyopadhyay, who is contesting from the North Kolkata seat, campaigned at ward 52 in Janbazar area of Central Kolkata. “BJP will not get a single seat in Bengal as they have no organisation in the state. The first phase of elections in Alipurduar and Cooch Behar has already been held. Our internal party inputs have indicated that we are winning these two seats,” Bandyopadhyay said. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaHe said that he is contesting in the elections for the 9th time and has won eight times. “I have been campaigning regularly and the support that I am getting from people is overwhelming. I am confident of winning this time too,” he added. Bandyopadhyay was accompanied by Swarnakamal Saha, who is an MLA from Entally and Nayna Bandyopadhyay, MLA of Chowringhee. TMC candidate from the Kolkata South seat Mala Roy campaigned at areas like Manoharpukur Road, Sarat Bose Road and Deshapriya Park. She was accompanied by MMiC Debasish Kumar. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayTMC candidate from Purulia Mriganko Mahato gave the slogan of Mamata Di Arekbar (Mamata Banerjee again) as a counter to BJP’s slogan ‘Ei Trinamool Ar Na’ (Trinamool not again). Mahato, who is a doctor by profession, started his campaign from Indkuri Junction at Manbazar and after travelling through various areas, reached Manbazar bus stand. The TMC supporters chanted poems that they have come up with, highlighting the various people-friendly schemes of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, like Sabuj Sathi, Khadya Sathi, Rupashree etc. Local MLA Sandhya Rani Tudu and senior leaders of the district accompanied them. Meanwhile, state Cooperation minister and MLA from Central Howrah Arup Roy took out a rally on the occasion of Ram Navami. The rally also campaigned for Trinamool Congress candidate Prasun Banerjee, who has been fielded from the Howrah seat. Roy hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi and claimed that this Lok Sabha election will witness the ouster of BJP from the Centre. Slogans like ‘Gali Gali Me Shor Hain, Chowkidar Chor Hai’ were raised against the Prime Minister at the rally. It started from Agra Sen Street in Belur and traversed several areas under the Shibpur police station. Roy walked and exchanged pleasantries with the voters. Hitting out at BJP’s Ram Navami processions with arms that were taken out in various parts of the state, he said: “Ram is an embodiment of sacrifice. He has never said that children would take up arms for his worship. BJP will not get a single seat in Bengal.” TMC candidate from Basirhat Nusrat Jahan also campaigned and interacted with the people of the constituency. “Voting for me means voting for Mamata Banerjee. You should vote for her for a good future. Don’t waste your vote,” she asserted.last_img read more

Gold imports dip 3 to 328 billion in FY19

first_imgNew Delhi: The country’s gold imports dipped about 3 per cent in value terms to $32.8 billion during 2018-19, which is expected to keep a lid on the current account deficit. Total imports of the precious metal in 2017-18 had stood at $33.7 billion, according to data from the commerce ministry. Trade experts said softening prices of the yellow metal in the global markets could be the reason for the contraction in the value of imports. After recording negative growth in February, the imports grew 31.22 per cent to $3.27 per cent in March. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalIndia is one of the largest gold importers in the world, and the imports mainly take care of demand from the jewellery industry. Jump in imports during March helped gems and jewellery exporters push their exports. The outbound shipments dipped only marginally by 0.37 per cent to $3.42 billion in March. The country’s current account deficit (CAD), or the difference between outflow and inflow of foreign exchange in the current account, widened to 2.5 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) in the third quarter of the fiscal, against 2.1 per cent in the year-ago period, mainly due to a large trade deficit. The government had introduced several measures to restrict the import of gold. Import of the yellow metal attracts 10 per cent duty. The domestic jewellery industry always demands a cut in the duty and relaxation of other import norms for increasing availability of the yellow metal to boost jewellery exports.last_img read more