KINGSTON, Jamaica, (CMC): Only three players so far have signed contracts with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) to represent the region in the T20 World Cup, just days before a Valentine’s Day deadline runs out. WICB Chief Executive Michael Muirhead made the disclosure late yesterday without revealing the names of those who have put pen to paper before Sunday’s deadline. His revelation came as a fresh contract crisis erupted this week over wages, between the WICB and players selected for the T20 World Cup starting next month in India. “Three have signed and one has indicated that he would not be able to participate because of injury so he will be replaced,” disclosed Muirhead, in an interview with Caribupdate News. “I will not name names at this point until the player is replaced and until Sunday when at that point I will then decide the appropriate time to release such”. Captain Darren Sammy and the players are contending that the remuneration on offer from the board for the T20 World Cup is unacceptable, and have called for a return to the amounts offered under the previous contract. The players concerns were contained in a letter from Sammy to Muirhead rejecting the notion that WIPA was their legitimate representative. However, Muirhead has expressed confidence that the rest of the players would also sign the contract and disclosed that he has received a second letter from Sammy with a conciliatory tone. “I am confident I think they will sign. I think just the tone of Sammy’s letter. I think he almost sound like he is speaking for himself but I assume he is speaking on behalf of most of the players if not all,” said Muirhead. “I assume that most if not all will sign not withstanding they may be some outstanding issues that he may want to take up after but certainly nothing could happen before. So I am confident that they will sign”. Muirhead has also confirmed that the Clive Lloyd led selection committee has already begun selecting a cadre of available players to represent the region in the World Cup, if they are needed. “That’s in the hands of the selectors right now. I am not sure at what stage they are but they have convened,” he said. “They were looking at the cadre of players who are out there and are available and will be putting that list together”. In his letter to the WICB Chief Executive, Sammy had pointed out that the T20 World Cup four years ago, the lowest paid player was guaranteed almost US$60 000 while the highest player stood to make almost US$138 000. He argued that with only US$27 600 on offer for the upcoming tournament, it represented between a 50 and 80 per cent pay cut for players. According to Muirhead, while Sammy’s second letter expressed his intention to represent West Indies at the World Cup he remains resolute that the WICB reconsiders the pay package. “We are not opposed to reconsidering but it would have to be done through the single and recognised representative body being WIPA,” Muirhead said.. “The book is never closed but it cannot be for a single group.”
An Albouystown, Georgetown block maker was on Tuesday remanded to prison after he was slapped with an attempted murder charge and placed before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Twenty-seven-year-old Malcolm Culley, of Lot 154 Cooper Street, Albouystown, Georgetown, had the charge read to him by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.The court heard that on May 18, 2018 at Albouystown with intent to commit murder, Culley wounded Rawle Khan.On Tuesday, the court was informed that the injured man was still hospitalised at the Georgetown Public Hospital suffering from a punctured lung.In a bail application, Culley’s Attorney, George Thomas, told the court that his client, a father of one, was soon to be a parent again.He highlighted that Culley had no previous matters in the courts and did not pose a flight risk.However, Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield objected to bail and revealed that Khan was not out of danger. The Prosecutor added that the Virtual Complainant was nursing a punctured lung, broken ribs, and multiple lacerations about his body.The prosecution’s submission was upheld, and bail was denied. The case will continue on June 11, 2018.