DES MOINES — Iowa Workforce Development reports the number of first-time claims for unemployment was nearly 29,000 in the last week. Some businesses forced to close by the coronavirus outbreak will be allowed to re-open in 77 counties beginning tomorrow. IWD deputy director Ryan West says it is hard to say how many employees will go back to work once the restrictions lift — but it should start to cut into the unemployment numbers. “I wish I had the answer to that, I don’t know. Obviously, I guess we will know more here in the next few days. As more stuff goes open — just through deduction of what’s going on — I would suggest hopefully so, yeah,” West says. The 28,827 new unemployment claims is 975 more than the first-time claims filed the week before. The last six weeks have seen record or near record unemployment filings — with the peak week of 64,194. West says many employers were searching for workers prior to the pandemic — and that hasn’t really changed. “One of the things that kind of gets lost in this are the employers who are looking for employers in this,” according to West. “Just like so many are kind of on the sidelines, so many are in the middle of it because they fit the industry needs.” He says people who are still looking for a job can go to the Workforce Development website. “You are going to see a list of those employers out there. And we really want people looking at those opportunities because there is certainly an abundance of them. And as the weather gets nicer — that’ll grow obviously,” West says. The first-time unemployment claims were led by manufacturing, with 7400. Health Care and Social Assistance, along with the self-employed had 4200 claims each.
Listen to the KGLO Morning News from Friday July 10th KGLO News · Friday July 10th — 7:11 AM
DES MOINES — The Iowa chapter of the Sierra Club is calling for a climate adaptation plan and other policies to overhaul the state’s agricultural economy.The group calls for changes to make farming more environmentally sustainable while still being profitable.Iowa Chapter director Pam Mackey-Taylor says to create a climate adaptation plan, they want farmers, state officials, consumers and environmentalists to meet and address key questions.“How do you sustain farm incomes in the future?” Mackey-Taylor says. “What kinds of things do we need to do to adapt? and how do we make sure that agriculture remains a part of our economy for the future?”Mackey-Taylor says the state could invest economic development dollars in small meat processors and in creating new markets so farmers can expand beyond the standard two-crop rotation.The chapter is also backing the national organization in distancing itself from founder John Muir. In recent weeks, Muir’s ties to eugenics and white supremacy have prompted the nation’s oldest environmental organization to call for a reckoning with its founders and past attitudes.She says many people and groups are reconsidering their actions and language around race.Mackey-Taylor says, “It makes sense for Sierra Club to do that close look and to mend the hurts and the harms that we’ve done and to move forward after that.”Across the country, the environmental movement is confronting its lack of diversity as some of the few activists and staffers who are not white have quit or called for organizational overhauls.The Planned Parenthood affiliate that includes Iowa issued a statement last week denouncing what it called the “problematic positions” of the organization’s founder. The group said Margaret Sanger’s advocacy of racist ideas was wrong and repugnant.
MASON CITY — It’s 15 years in prison for a Chicago man accused of stealing a lawn mower from a Mason City store. 45-year-old Calvin Lacey pleaded guilty to second-degree theft as a habitual offender. Lacey and Charles Ross of Des Moines were accused of stealing a lawn mower from Mills Fleet Farm in September 2018. Charges of possession of a theft detection removal device and possession of methamphetamine were dismissed as part of Lacey’s guilty plea. District Judge Karen Salic sentenced Lacey on Monday to 15 years in prison, with the sentence to be served at the same time as a 52-month federal prison term on an unrelated case of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Ross previously pleaded guilty in the lawn mower theft case to second-degree theft, possession of a theft detection device and possession of meth. He was sentenced to seven years in prison.
Paris, France | AFP | Paris Saint-Germain will again be without Neymar for their League Cup tie at Strasbourg on Wednesday, the club confirmed.Coach Unai Emery confirmed on Monday that the world’s most expensive player had been allowed to return to his native Brazil to deal with a family matter.Neymar had already missed the 3-1 weekend win against Lille due to suspension, and Emery said on Monday that he hoped the former Barcelona star would be back in “three or four days”. But PSG’s confirmed squad for the last-16 tie in Strasbourg — where they lost 2-1 in the league 10 days ago — was missing Neymar as well as Thiago Silva, Thiago Motta, Adrien Rabiot and Layvin Kurzawa. They have won the League Cup in each of the last four seasons.Amid speculation as to the reasons behind Neymar’s trip home, Brazilian website Globoesporte published social media messages accompanied by photographs which suggest he could have been at the birthday party of his friend’s father and had also visited a dental clinic.On Monday, Neymar published a photo of himself on Twitter with the message: “Focus, strength and faith for the celebration of another day!!”Share on: WhatsApp
“Emirates are again demonstrating their great belief in our approach and ambition and their significantly increased investment will help us continue to compete for trophies and bring more success to the club and our fans around the world.”Emirates president Sir Tim Clark said: “Arsenal’s strong appeal and influence around the globe, combined with their ambitions as a club, make them an ideal partner for Emirates, with values that reflect ours as a brand.“As a long-standing supporter of football, we are passionate about the game and are a proud partner to the team.”Emirates have held naming rights to Arsenal’s 60,000-seater stadium since the Gunners moved in during 2006, with that deal set to run until 2028.Arsenal, currently sixth in the Premier League table, eight points behind fourth-placed Chelsea, are desperate to secure Champions League football for next season after missing out this year.On Sunday they meet Premier League leaders Manchester City in the final of the League Cup at Wembley.Deloitte’s “Money League” report last month ranked Arsenal in sixth place behind the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid but a separate study said Arsenal had greater financial muscle than any club in world football with the exception of Manchester City.Share on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Arsenal announced the club’s biggest-ever sponsorship deal worth a reported £200 million on Monday, extending their shirt partnership with Dubai-based airline Emirates by five years.The Gunners confirmed the branding of Emirates, which began its sponsorship agreement with the north London club in 2006, would continue to feature on the shirts and training kit of all of their teams until the end of the 2023/2024 season.The size of the deal, quoted by the BBC as being worth more than £200 million ($280 million) reportedly puts the club level with Premier League rivals Chelsea, behind only Manchester United, who have a seven-year agreement with Chevrolet worth $559 million. “Our shirt partnership is the longest-running in the Premier League and one of the longest relationships in world sport,” said Ivan Gazidis, chief executive of Arsenal, who have not given a figure for the deal.“This mutual commitment is testimony to the strength and depth of our unique relationship.”
But the result is a devastating blow for Tottenham, who again came up short when the pressure was on and remain nine points adrift of Premier League leaders Liverpool.Pochettino praised his side despite their defeat.“Tottenham did everything to win the game,” he said. “Maybe we dominated and we created a lot of chances. It was an amazing second half, I am so pleased.“Sometimes you win a game and you are disappointed, like when we won 3-0 at Old Trafford. They were better than us that day. Today the result should be different and I am happy.”Earlier, Tottenham settled quickly into their fluid passing game, enjoying the bulk of possession and went close to opening the scoring through Harry Winks before Jesse Lingard fired over from close range for the visitors.United, with Lingard, Anthony Martial and Rashford racing forward at every opportunity, looked dangerous on the break.Spurs striker Harry Kane had a close-range effort correctly ruled out for offside just after the half hour.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2 London, United Kingdom | AFP | Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said David de Gea was making a case to be considered Manchester United’s greatest-ever goalkeeper after he produced a masterclass on Sunday to protect his side’s 1-0 lead against Tottenham.The match at Wembley pitted two of the bookmakers’ favourites to permanently replace Jose Mourinho against one another but it was the interim United boss who came out on top against Mauricio Pochettino.Marcus Rashford scored the only goal in the 44th minute of a thrilling encounter and Paul Pogba impressed but the performance of the Spanish goalkeeper will live long in the memory.He made 11 saves — the most he has made in a top-flight league match without conceding a goal — leaving Spurs players holding their heads in disbelief on multiple occasions.Solskjaer hailed De Gea as “the best goalkeeper in the world” but also praised his team’s defensive resilience and team spirit.“We’ve had some great ‘keepers at this club and I think he’s challenging both Edwin (van der Sar) and Peter (Schmeichel) for the number one spot historically, he said.“The win here was massive, the team spirit was massive, the belief and the joy in the dressing room absolutely fantastic,” added the Norwegian, who has equalled Matt Busby’s record of winning his first five league games in charge of United.United were eight points behind Arsenal when Solskjaer became their caretaker manager on December 19 but are now level on points with the fifth-placed Gunners as they hunt down a Champions League qualification spot.
Share on: WhatsApp Earlier Tuesday Abidal had spoken glowingly of Messi and had sounded optimistic of an extended deal“I’m sure we’ll come to a deal with Leo because he knows we need him. He’s on top form, enjoying his game and breaking records,” said Abidal.“We as a club want to make him even happier and to do that by surrounding him with the right teammates. We want a strong team with a good everyday feeling and above all we want to win titles.”Messi signed his last extension in 2017, with his current deal running through to 2021 but reportedly containing a clause that could allow him to quit Barcelona in June. Barcelona, Spain | AFP | Lionel Messi has hit back at Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal after the Frenchman blamed slackness in the dressing room for the departure of recently-fired coach Ernesto Valverde.In an interview with Spanish daily Sport Abidal said that under Valverde, who was sacked in mid-January, many players had been unhappy, hadn’t worked hard enough nor communicated properly.Now Argentine ace Messi has fired a salvo at across his own ranks just as the club are trying to get him to sign a contract extension.“Sincerely I don’t like doing this kind of thing but everyone has to be made responsible for their actions and what they say,” Messi said on Instagram.“We the players in the dressing room are the first to admit it when we haven’t played well. The directors need to take their responsibilities too.“I believe that if you talk about the players (in this way) you should name names instead of worrying everyone and encouraging rumours that are far from certain.”
Police say the gas leak has been capped and there is no danger to the public.BREAKING NEWS: Gas explosion in Plantation, South Fl. @11:28. Watch the video for more details @Univision23 @Telemundo51 @nbc6 @CBSMiami @wsvn @ABC7 pic.twitter.com/7UIA9U0xbS— Andrea Cando (@_AndreaCando) July 6, 2019 At least 20 people were injured and transported to local hospitals with two in serious condition, according to police. As of yet, no fatalities have been reported.Plantation Fire Battalion Chief Joel Gordon said two people suffered serious injuries in the blast that was reported just before 11:30 p.m.Fire departments from Plantation, Davie, Lauderhill, Coral Springs, as well as Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue all responded to the scene. Gas was shut off to all businesses in the area, at which time crews discovered a ruptured gas line. Plantation police are still searching for victims after an apparent gas explosion at The Fountains in Plantation near the Broward Mall Saturday afternoon.The explosion reportedly happened in a pizza restaurant and caused extensive damage to neighboring businesses. The roof collapsed at nearby LA Fitness.UPDATE: Gas explosion at pizza restaurant in The Fountains. Significant damage to surrounding biz, inc. partial roof collapse at LA Fitness. Several patients transported. Gas lines clipped, no current danger to public @wsvn https://t.co/P3aSetQwfF— Alex Browning (@Alex7News) July 6, 2019 7Skyforce over gas explosion in Plantation that has injured multiple people. https://t.co/trRGPXHU0E— WSVN 7 News (@wsvn) July 6, 2019 A triage area was set up after the blast and authorities and dogs searched through rubble to make sure there were no other victims.Gordon said at a news conference that everyone has been accounted for.
Police say a Florida man threw his 5-year-old into the ocean to teach the boy how to swim.John Bloodsworth was arrested Monday evening for aggravated abuse of a child, illegally jumping off the pier and disorderly intoxication.The 37-year-old father reportedly left the child alone in the water as he repeatedly dove from a Daytona Beach pier.Police say the child was crying as beachgoers ran to help and called 911.The boy showed no signs of injury and was released into the custody of his mother, according to police.Bloodsworth was released from jail after posting bond on Tuesday.No other information is available at this time.