Supporters of the petition said Mr Kagame was the right person to lead the country of 11.8 million for another term.President Kagame has been in power since 2000 after he led a rebel army that ended the 1994 Rwandan genocide in which about 800,000 people were killed.Kagame himself hasn’t said whether he’ll stand if deemed eligible for elections scheduled for 2017.However he has said he is open to persuasion that the two-term limit in the constitution needs to be changed, and a petition to that effect has collected 3.8 million signatures.MPs voted unanimously on Tuesday to back the petition, adding that a referendum would be called on whether to amend the constitution. Some MP’s say they have already started the referendum process.The opposition has expressed it’s displeasure over the call for the referendum to change the constitution in favor of President Kagame.Kagame’s government is credited with turning around Rwanda’s economy in the years since the genocide, but critics say he is an authoritarian ruler who does not tolerate opposition.Many of his former comrades have fled the country, saying their lives are threatened.If term limits are removed and Kagame runs again, he would join a growing list of regional leaders whose governments have jettisoned presidential term limits.In 2005, Ugandan lawmakers removed term limits from the constitution, allowing President Yoweri Museveni to seek re-election in 2006 and 2011. He is expected to run again in 2016. Rwanda is now preparing for a referendum on a proposed constitutional amendment to scrap presidential term limits and consequently allow President Paul Kagame to seek a third term.This follows its parliament’s approval on Tuesday, of a petition filed by over 3 million citizens.The petition urged for the change in the country’s constitution, to remove the article that limits the presidential tenure to two terms. Paul Kagame
Share LocalNews Randy Fredrick needs your help by: – November 30, 2011 Share Tweet Sharing is caring! Share 40 Views no discussions Randy FredrickHis case came to into national focus when local media house Marpin 2k4 visited his home and interviewed his mother about his condition.At that time Randy Fredrick was in severe pains, a state that has been constant since discovery of this tumor in March 2010. Thanks to the Ross University School of Medicine and a few other agencies including the National Youth Council, Fedrick and his family have being able to raise some of the funds needed to meet the costs associated with his surgery. However, support is still necessary, through prayers and financial contributions.In the last week his condition has worsened and after some long and painful days for him at the PMH, Randy will be flown to Barbados today. Doctors agree that his need for surgery is an emergent. This, then, is a call to the Dominican public to rally around this young man and his family and lend support to this cause by calling 1-767-317-4944 or 17-7-315-5892 and pledging.An account has been setup to deal with Frederick’s additional expenses while in Barbados. Please call and give your support.Press ReleaseFriends of Randy, Kalinago Territory
Attorney John Schuerman serves on the ITLA Board of Directors.BATESVILLE, Ind. – Batesville attorney John Schuerman attended the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) 50th Annual Institute in Indianapolis in November. Schuerman is a member of the Board of Directors for the ITLA.“The Annual Institute is important to me because it gives me an opportunity to stay current with changes in state laws and bring that knowledge back to my work,” says John.Schuerman Law has served Indiana injury victims and their families for over 40 years. John notes that he remains committed to continuing education in order to serve clients with the latest information in the field.The annual event provides two days of legal education to attorneys in the state of Indiana, keeping them informed of important changes in Indiana Law. This year’s program featured nationally recognized speakers on a number of topics.Founded in 1956, the ITLA mission is a commitment to the “constitutional rights of open access to the courts and equal protection under the law for all persons in Indiana.” The ITLA provides essential knowledge on everything from ethics to cross examining at their Annual Institute.
Batesville, IN — It’s still not too late to register for the Sip, Snack, and Stroll that is happening this Friday, August 21. Register before Tuesday, August 18 at 5 pm to enjoy the summer fundraiser put on by the Batesville Area Historical Society. Enjoy a historical walking tour of Batesville while you sample food and drinks from Gillman Home Center, Izzy’s at Hillcrest, Batesville Liquor Company, The Sherman, and Snikkers & Peanuts. Food and drinks will be served in the Batesville Historical Museum garden starting at 5:15 pm and the tour starts at 6:30 pm. The cost is $35 for members and $40 for non-members. Call 812.212.9382 to register now.
By Nick Mulvenney RIO DE JANEIRO(Reuters)-South Africa’s Wayde van Niekerk ran the fastest single lap in history to win the 400 metres gold medal in 43.03 seconds and break a 17-year-old world record at the Olympic Games yesterday.Running in lane eight, the 24-year-old world champion got off to a flier and was streaking clear on the back straight but he upped his pace even further in the second half of the race to better American Michael Johnson’s 1999 mark of 43.18 seconds.Van Niekerk crossed the line a good five metres ahead of 2012 champion Kirani James and held his hands to his head in disbelief at his time before being embraced by the Grenadian, who took silver in 43.76.LaShawn Merritt of the United States, the 2008 Olympic champion, claimed bronze in 43.85, the first time the top three had run under 44 seconds in an Olympic 400 final.Johnson, who won back-to-back Olympic titles in the event in 1996 and 2000, was dumbfounded by the quality of Van Niekerk’s finish.“Oh my God! From lane eight, a world record,” Johnson said on the BBC. “He took it out so quick. I have never seen anything from 200 to 400 like that.”
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Virat Kohli entering the record books and tying records is nothing new. The India vs South Africa Test in Pune witnessed a similar sight. Kohli scored his 26th century to put India on top against South Africa at the MCA stadium on Friday. This was his 19th century, putting him level with former Australia great Ricky Ponting. Graeme Smith of South Africa has the most with 25 centuries as a Test captain. The fact that Kohli achieved it in his 50th Test as captain of the Indian team shows that he is the ultimate player when it comes to achieving milestones.Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane had weathered the storm on an overcast evening session on day 1 but Kohli showed his mettle to negotiate the bowling. He notched up his fifty with two boundaries off Vernon Philander as he remained unbeaten on 63. Resuming on day 2, Kohli had his fair share of luck. He edged a full ball from Philander but it just flew past Quinton de Kock for a boundary. Also Read | MS Dhoni knows exactly what to do: Virat Kohli brushes aside queries of slow battingAs the session progressed and the partnership went past 100, Kohli still had some luck going his way. He withstood a testing spell from Anrich Nortje who induced the outside edge yet again but the ball went past the slips. However, Rahane was looking in great touch as he smoked a couple of boundaries and neared his fifty. The Mumbai right-hander was the first to reach his fifty when he cracked a four off Keshav Maharaj and notched up his 20th fifty. Also Read | MS Dhoni is a legend of the game, says Virat KohliKohli, though, had no problems negotiating the nervous 90s as he notched up a magnificent century by straight driving Philander to the long on fence for a glorious boundary. During the course of his knock, he overtook Dilip Vengsarkar’s tally of runs to be seventh on the all-time list of Indian players with the most Test runs. Sachin Tendulkar leads the tally with 15921 runs in 200 Tests. Incidentally, this was his first ton against South Africa in India, having smashed 119 and 153 in the Johannesburg and Centurion Tests of 2013 and 2018.The century in Pune was his 11th in a different venue in India, breaking the tally of 10 that was set by Sachin Tendulkar during his 24-year lating career. Thus, Kohli has broken one more record of Tendulkar and it remains to be seen how many more records will he break in his playing career. Kohli is already the most successful India captain, overtaking MS Dhoni’s tally of 27 wins and with this century, he has already cemented his legacy as one of the best batsmen in Tests.
Retired U.S. General and CIA director David Petraeus began his tenure as the Judge Widney professor last week.The title distinguishes esteemed individuals in a particular field. Petraeus earned a Ph.D. in international relations from Princeton University, but at USC, he will be working with many different schools and programs. His involvement will range from programs for veterans to energy use and the economy.The beginning · General David Petraeus lectured for the first time as part of USC’s faculty, centering on energy and the U.S. economy. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan Petraeus guest lectured for the USC Sidney Harman Academy for Polymathic Study last week, when he discussed the revolutions in energy, information technology and manufacturing, and how these changes could possibly boost the U.S. economy.USC has 875 veterans currently enrolled and 120 more students are part of Price School of Public Policy’s ROTC program. Petraeus is also the faculty adviser for the USC Veterans Association. He began his tenure by speaking with researchers from the Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans & Military Families. Through cooperation with the Institute for Creative Technologies, the center has developed a virtual human avatar, which will allow the School of Social Work to study the needs of veterans and their families.As part of his first official week as a professor at USC, Petraeus also opened a national conference for the Price School of Public Policy concerning veterans’ transition from war to home and lectured for the Marshall School of Business to the first class of students in the Master of Business for Veterans program.Petraeus said his decision to join the faculty of USC was influenced by his belief in USC’s rising potential and by the school’s attention to the service sector.“USC is in the middle of a surge,” Petraeus told USC News. “USC has a great faculty, great students and the weather’s fantastic. It’s hard to beat.”
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on September 29, 2018 at 9:10 pm Comments Syracuse (4-1, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) allowed a touchdown with under a minute remaining, ruining a chance at yet another shocking upset over No. 3 Clemson. The Orange in its, 27-23, loss were gashed by the Tigers’ running backs and couldn’t hold onto a game that it controlled for almost 59 minutes.Here are the best shots from the game.
Gareth Bale and Samir Nasri have been nominated for both the Professional Footballers’ Association Player and Young Player of the Year awards.Tottenham’s Bale and Arsenal’s Nasri are among seven picks for both categories.Charlie Adam, Scott Parker, Carlos Tevez, Rafael van der Vaart and Nemanja Vidic make up the senior contenders.Arsenal and England midfielder Jack Wilshere is among the young player nominations.The 19-year-old is also joined by Everton’s Seamus Coleman, Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart and Manchester United pair Javier Hernandez and Nani.Bale lit up the early part of the season that included two electrifying performances against Inter Milan in the Champions League, whereas Nasri has had his best season at the Gunners, scoring 14 goals. “It took Gareth some time after he came to Tottenham from Southampton – in fact he had some adverse publicity – but suddenly he has blossomed,” said PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor.“He has come through and more than fulfilled everyone’s expectations and I think he looks real value for money at just £5million. The impact he has made, the goals he has got, he has been quite outstanding.”Blackpool midfielder Adam has played his part in making Ian Holloway’s side one of the most entertaining teams in the Premier League this season, highlighted by his wide range of passing.Parker has been the model of consistency at West Ham, with his performances re-establishing him in the England team, while Van der Vaart has scored some superb goals since his arrival from Real Madrid last summer.“You would have to say, without doubt, Scott has been West Ham’s outstanding player and if they stay in the Premier League, you would have to say he would have been very much responsible for that,” Taylor added. “Things looked quite hopeless at times for West Ham but he managed to keep them going.”Vidic, too, has had a strong season for United where injuries to other defenders have attempted to scupper his team’s season.But United are still on course to repeat their 1999 feat of winning a Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League treble and the contribution of Hernandez and Nani has been crucial, with the pair scoring 26 goals between them.Although facing stiff competition from 22-year-old Hernandez, Wilshere will be favourite to pick up the Young Player of the Year award after showing his growing potential in Arsenal’s last-16 Champions League games against Barcelona.“He’s not the biggest or the tallest but he has a real zest for the game, and is certainly not afraid to make a tackle,” Taylor added. “His control, his left foot, his perception and vision are exceptional. The world of football is really at his feet.”Source: BBC
A ranking member of the Youth and Sports Committee in Parliament is accusing the Sports Minister and his deputy of playing football with the budget for Ghana’s preparation for the 2014 World Cup.According to Isaac Asiamah, the deputy Sports Minister Joseph Yamin told the Committee that an amount of 24 million cedis had been budgeted for the Stars’ preparation to Brazil 2014.But when the substantive minister Elvis Afriyie Ankrah appeared before the House on Tuesday, he said no figure has yet been budgeted for next year’s World Cup.The Minister said any figure mentioned could only be “speculative” because he has not received any budget from the FA.He ran the legislators through a tall list of sponsors including, Guinness, Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC), and their annual sponsorship sum, but insisted no budget has yet been made available.Speaking to Joy News, the Ranking Member of the Committee Isaac Asiamah deplored the controversy in the figures being bandied about. He found it intriguing that the Deputy Minister would tell Parliament that a figure of 24 million had been budgeted for the Black Stars’ preparation only for his substantive minister to rubbish the figures and describe it as purely speculative.Even more serious is the claim by the Minister that no budget has yet been made for the Black Stars in 2014, Isaac Asiamah argued.He said Parliament will by tomorrow pass the Appropriation Act which will empower the executive to spend monies for the 2014 financial year.So for the Minister to tell Parliament that there is no budget yet for the Black Stars for the 2014 financial year is unacceptable.”Parliament has to be taken seriously” he told Joy News’ Evans Mensah, adding, he will pursue the case to its logical conclusion. In a reaction, the deputy Minister Joseph Yamin admitted that he had told the committee the budget for the Black Stars’ preparation was 24 million cedis but was quick to add that figure was only an estimate.According to him, the substantive Minister knew about the 24 million cedis estimate but did not say if he had the authority of the minister to disclose it to Parliament.